Seafood skeptics, do not turn away when you hear the words Smoked Salmon Dip! If you do, later on, you’ll only be disappointed that you didn’t give this delectable dish a taste right up front.
This is the second dip recipe I’m doing this month (along with Artichoke Dip), and it’s perfect for the holidays or impending big games.
It’s not a big secret that fresh salmon is a pretty big deal in Alaska. And smoked salmon follows as a close second because it’s a common way to preserve this rich, delicious fish.
Naturally, many people have their favorite versions of Alaskan Smoked Salmon Dip. In fact, last year at work we had a “dip off”.
I didn’t enter, but tried probably 15 dips. Each had it’s own original twist, but were also missing flavors I love to see with salmon. So I’ve been playing around, developing my own take on a simple smoked salmon dip recipe.
When it comes to the smoked salmon dip, it’s my own blend. I took the flavors I like with cooked salmon and ideas from other dips I’ve tasted, then put them into a recipe that’s very easy to make. The core ingredients consist of:
- Flaked Smoked Salmon (not a huge fan of salmon mousse like dips).
- Cream Cheese and Capers, a nod to the flavors of a Lox and cream cheese bagel.
- Lemon Juice and Dill marry well together with baked salmon, and it’s no different in a dip.
- Garlic, Worcestershire Sauce, Salt and Pepper add punch and balance to the flavor.
We taste tested it at Thanksgiving, and it was pretty much to die for if I do say so myself. Not overly fishy, but full of flavorful, and creamy. My only other tip…use good quality smoked salmon.
Smoked Salmon DipPrint
Alaskan Smoked Salmon Dip
Delicious, simple ingredients combine to enhance the natural richness of Alaskan smoked salmon.
- Prep Time: 15-20 min.
- Total Time: 15-20 min.
- Yield: 10-12 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Seafood
For the Dip
- 7-10 oz. Smoked Salmon
- 1-8 oz. package Cream Cheese
- 1/2-1 c. Mayonnaise or Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice or juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 4-6 sprigs Fresh Dill, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. Capers
- 1-2 tsp. or 1 small clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix the Dip:
- Soften cream cheese, then blend together with mayonnaise and/or sour cream until smooth.
- Flake fillet of smoked salmon.
- Add lemon juice, dill, capers, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and flaked salmon to cream cheese mixture.
- Mix well. For a smoother dip, pulse in food processor to desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to chill for at least 2-3 hours to overnight, then serve it up with your favorite crackers, vegetables, or bread product and enjoy!
- Amount of Salmon depends on how much YOU like Salmon.
- Try half mayo/half sour cream; amount depends on creaminess you like.
- Healthy Substitutions: low or non fat mayo or sour cream, low or non fat cream cheese
Want to add your own twist? Other ingredients to try in addition to or in place of above are green onions, diced green chilis, jalapeno, Tabasco sauce, bacon, and baby shrimp.